Blog Post Number 2 - Tyler Matchette
Blog Post Number 2 - Tyler Matchette
If our previous 3 Intro to Communications presentations were surrounded around the topics of groups, group roles, and how they function in the world, then these sets of projects focus more on the people that could be considered leaders by you and me. Each person who was not assigned Co-Host had to make a few slides on a person who positively changed the world; and because this class is in the United States of America, most of our change makers are Americans. Since me and Zebadiah were both Co-Hosts for the class, we instead wrote summaries of what happened in each American century, from the late 1700s, to the 2000s (our current time as I am writing this post). With so much to talk about for each American century, me and Zebadiah split our discussions of each century into halves; where she talked about the first half of each century, while I talked about the latter. The only exception was for the 1700s, since America started in 1776; so Zebadiah covered 1776-1830s, while I covered the 1840s-1890s. Even though me and Zebadiah were only suppose to lecture for a few minutes in our presentations, there were so many topics to talk about for our centuries; so we discussed around 7-13 topics for each of our American periods. I also had to eventually sing the National Anthem during class, since we had to present an American song for our projects. While nerve wracking, I pulled through, leaving a more happier Tyler. Now, I am going to review each of the group presentations, from 1-3, as I also discuss more in depth what me and Zebadiah did for our assignments.
Group 1
Zebadiah Mckenzie: Every group starts off with us Co-Hosts, and since Zebadiah always worked on the first half of each century, she never not started first for our presentations. Unfortunately, our group members had problems sharing the presentation in Zoom, so it was an awkward wait; not that it was her fault, but it made the start of our project a bit rough. Eventually Alyssa Barbosa helped out the issue, and things went great from there for Zebadiah. Everybody in group 1 themed their presentation around maps, the Constitution and other old historical papers; thus, making the entire project have a hue of brown and yellow. Zebadiah's slide especially followed this map look, where her background for all of her text looks like old paper. The words for each subject she talks about for the 1700s-1830s are flowing in order, from left to right, with a circle representing the spot for an important year for the USA; almost as if a ship had sailed throughout the lines of text. Whether intentional or not, I liked that her slide not only looked like a map, but also a possible reference of Americans sailing their ships back in the day, whenever the texts jump from year to year. Zebadiah sometimes stumbled on her words, but she pulled through in a soft, but strong tone. She talked about The Declaration of Independence, the signing of the Constitution, Washington's Presidency, the Bill of Rights, the National Bank, the Louisiana Purchase, the Missouri Compromise, and the Trail of Tears.
Tyler Matchette: I tried making my slide close to Zebadiah's, since we were a duo of information of for each assigned century. I added the map in the background, and had my circles separating each of my chosen years for the latter half of the 1800s. I however wanted my own spin on the project, so, I had a faded skull, a faded camera, and faded chains in the background of my text. The skull represented all of the Presidents who were assassinated during the 1800s, the camera represented the rise of films, and the chains represented slavery. I to stumbled my words a bit, but pulled though better as time went on. I talked about the many points of when Native Americans kept losing their lands, the Civil War, the Emancipation Proclamation, Lincoln's and Garfield's assassinations, and Thomas Edison's inventions of the phonograph, the Kinetograph, and the Kinetoscope.
Dyland Rodriguez Mayea: Tone seemed a bit down, which made her presentation on Thomas Jefferson sound a bit dull. I like however all the pictures she put on her slide; where it displays all the facts she talks about Thomas Jefferson.
Angelie Sagastume: Sounds a little quiet when presenting. She is mostly reading through her own slides, without having a script; she does say a few extra words here and there, but overall just repeated everything that was said in the text. Her slide (while not offering many pictures), was neat and tidy.
Akire Greene: Hardly seemed prepared when presenting, and is reading off the text, instead of having a script. Akire did not even noticed he copied some of his points. His slide has a lot of cool pictures that described Susan B. Anthony's impact of America; but forgot to remove some copied bulletins.
Ariba Pervaiz: She had a calm and collected tone while presenting. I love the penny picture for Lincoln, that is funny. Very good presentation and slide, with a script intact.
Oscar Gonzales: Seemed a bit scared while presenting Frederick Douglass (which I understand, presenting can be very stressful); nevertheless, he pulled through. I love how Frederick Douglass's picture is in the middle of all his points.
Alyssa Barbosa: Talked very professionally, and much like Oscar, I like how Aaron Burr was centered in the middle of her slide; I also love the golden painting surrounding Aaron Burr's picture. The slide overall was not copied in presentation, and was nicely detailed.
Ricardo Roldan: Did not have his camera on. Copied most of his text in his presentation. I like how his slide on Alexander Hamilton happens right after Alyssa's slide on Aaron Burr (very poetic). I like how the text and pictures were separated, where the text is centered above the pictures.
Brochure: No one in group one planned on who was going to read the brochure; which I guess was my fault, as well as the rest of my group members. The brochure however was greatly made.
Group 2
Zebadiah Mckenzie: Since group 2's presentation was centered around the 1900s, most of the slides on our presentation were themed in a black and white ascetic. Zebadiah's approach to theme up her slide on the early 1900s, was to put old newspapers in the background of her text. Since there were words plastered all over the newspapers, I like how she put a black box behind her white texts (in order for her words to stand out). Zebadiah's enthusiasm was engaging, and she was more confident than she was in group 1's presentation. Zebadiah's script had a nice intro, an explanatory overview of the early 1900s, and a nice transition between herself and I. She talked about World War 1, McKinley's assassination, the Roosevelt era and his four terms, women's voting rights, Jim Crow segregation, labor movements, the Great Depression, the New Deal, Jazz, radio, Hollywood, and animation.
Tyler Matchette: The person who was switching the slides did not do so for quite awhile after Zebadiah finished her presentation, leading me to become a bit passive aggressive (I wish I hadn't done that). While I believe I presented confidently, I did stutter on many parts of my slide; it gotten to a point where I even choked up on one part of my own slide, and had to do a quick do-over. I think I stylized my slide decently. While my background was less creative than Zebadiah's (mine was just a white background), I did have sections for all of my text, and two contrasting pictures of Pearl Harbor and The Beatles (I did this to reflect on the positive and negatives aspects of the later 1900s). I talked about Rock music, Disco, Rap, CGI, Pearl Harbor, Japanese intermittent camps, the Vietnam War, the many political assassinations of the 1960s, the Civil Rights movement, the AIDS epidemic, and the Cold War.
Elessar Marin: Did not provide a script, and paused many times throughout his presentation; seemed a bit unprepared. He did not have his camera on, until asked. In group 2, many of the people had multiple slides, however, he never changed the pictures when switching slides during his presentation.
Cristobal Osorio: Had his own script while presenting. His first slide was nicely split where the left had his text, and the right had a picture of Theadore Roosevelt, and his second slide had a lot of cool pictures of Theadore and how people viewed him at the time. Cristobal talked very professional.
Celeste Castillo: Did not have a script for her presentation. The slides look very organized. Celeste's tone was very bright while speaking.
Kayla Lott: Did not have her camera on till asked (it seemed like after turning her camera on, she was trying to hide. I understand why she did that, and I hope she grows, and becomes more confident). While presenting, commotion happened in her house that halted her presentation (which is also understandable, it was out of her control). When it was her time to present again, I noticed she did not have her own script while reading. She did present good, and had good looking slides.
Glenda Leon Franco: Amazing that she had her own script. While pausing many times while presenting, I think that is ok since due to her accent, she might be trying to learn English. Her slides are ordered nicely. My one nitpick was that there was music being played at her house.
Javier Rios: Repeated off of his text. He presented nicely, but jumped his tone at two points; which sort of broke the flow of the presentation. His first slide was good, but his second slide had bleeding text against the background of FDR.
Emmanuel Sanchez: Read off without his own script. The way he spoke sounded a bit dull and bored. Other than that, his presentation seemed straightforward.
Rashel Rubio: Read off her own text. Sounded tired while presenting. A few of her words in her text bleed with her picture in slide one; slide 2 on the other hand looks good.
Ayme Salcedo Chaviano: Spoke a little off, but due to her accent, I think that is because English is not her first language (so, I do not mind this). She had her own script, and had good slides; only, I wish some of her words did not bleed with the pictures.
Interview: There was a cool interview of Neil Armstrong, and his experience about space, and the moon. This was a nice addition of things to share about the 1900s.
Brochure: Much like group 1, no one reviewed the brochure, but it looked very awesome.
Group 3:
Zebadiah Mckenzie: Since group 3's presentation is catered towards our current century, me and Zebadiah made sure we included at least one important event from each year. Zebadiah covered 2000-2013, while I covered 2014-2026. Zebadiah's slide looked a bit bland compared to her previous slides from our other groups; however, it is organized nicely. As always, Zebadiah had extra to say compared to her slide, and presented with confidence. Zebadiah talked about 9/11, homeland security, Iraq war, Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, online creators, the iPhone, the Human Gemini project, Obama, Obama care, recession effects, Gabrielle Giffords, and Sandy Hook.
Tyler Matchette: I also somewhat did not add much for my slide in terms of theming; however, I think my bulletin order of the latter years had a nice pattern from 2014-2026 facts. I couldn't think of any positive representation of our current years (especially since I find these recent years to be terrifying), so thus, I added a globe (since I find this century to become especially divided globally). One last thing to note is that I noticed group 3 shared the color blue in their slides a lot; so, I jumped into the bandwagon, and made my slide a bit blue. I talked about the Ebola scare, gay marriage being legalized, Donald Trump, Despacito, the Me Too Movement, Jeffery Epstein, Covid, George Floyd, January 6th, AI, Kendrick VS Drake, tariffs, Ice agents, Charlie Kirk, Ukraine vs Russia, and Iran VS Israel.
Michael Navarrete: He had his own script, presented in a formal tone, and had good and clean looking slides. I love how he added a podcast interview of Obama, it added great depth to his part of the presentation. My one nitpick is that there is a weird sound coming out of Micheal's mic.
Maria Murillo Sanchez: I am happy to see Maria reading a script, but I do think her text should had a couple of more sentences. She forgot to turn on her camera until midway. Her slides look very clean, and clear.
Joslin Fernandez: Nice script, nice formal tone, nice slides, Joslin did a fine job.
Jose Herrera: He had his own script. He talked a bit off, but due to his accent, I think it is because his first language is not English; so, that is pretty understandable. I like his slides, and he even added a video of Elon Musk's SpaceX Rocket have landings.
Yohana perez: I liked her slides, I think her's were the best of group 3. While not the most creative, she had her own animations, her pictures and words were ordered greatly, and she had good spacing all around. However, my nitpick with her slides were that much like Zebadiah, she did not follow the blue color scheme. I did not like though that she read off her text.
Viviana Rubio: Had her own script, had a good formal tone, and had good looking slides.
Jenifer Hernandez: Provided a professional tone, while showing slides that looked good (I think they were a bit empty). I am glad she did not read off a script.
Brochure: Once again, no one really presented for this slide. However, this one was my favorite because each change maker had a different panel, and each panel had either the color white, or a different shade of blue; thus, making the slide pop out.
Great!
ReplyDelete